Monday, May 5, 2014

Tales From A Less Tiny Apartment

Hello!

I know I said I would keep up with my improvements while I was in the process of moving, but if you've ever moved, you probably knew that was a pipe dream. With one or two exceptions, I didn't really have much to write about. I suppose my only words of wisdom from the past few months are if you live with a graphic designer, you will find about 600 pieces of card stock after he moves out and you begin to think that maybe you're manufacturing it.

Anyway, I have a new home and I love it even more than I thought I would! On moving day, I always find myself walking around with a critical eye, examining every crack and looking for hidden gems. Some pros and cons of my new place, compared to my old:

Pros:
  • Hardwood floors
  • Large tub
  • Double sink
  • REAL intercom (doesn't link to a phone)
  • More space
  • Allows pets
  • Ground floor
  • Lots of closet space

Cons:
  • No laundry
  • My view is of someone else's apartment
  • That centipede I saw last night
  • Water-damaged walls needs some major TLC
  • I can only assume my kitchen cabinets were made by a drunk 6-year-old:
Doesn't some of that just boggle your mind?

Best of all, it's all uniquely mine, which means I get to do what I want to it. I'll post photos very soon as a 'before' reference, but I've been creating an extensive list in my head of all the things I'd like to fix up (big & small):

  • Fill cracks and paint all walls
  • Fill cracks and paint ceilings
  • Scrape paint off all doorknobs, etc.
  • Replace all paint-covered outlet and light switch covers
  • Replace knobs on kitchen cabinets
  • Fix up kitchen cabinets (if possible)
  • Get stove replaced (this may require some unethical things, we'll see)
  • Paint fridge
  • Paint or replace shower curtain rod
  • Wash windows (from the outside - perks of the ground floor)
  • Remove all curtain brackets (seriously, there must be 30 left behind)
  • Hang curtains (there's enough windows that I'm calling this a job)
  • Re-install all my old wall-stuff

So that's where I'm at. This doesn't include anything organization-based, but mainly because I haven't found those flaws yet, living there so briefly.

Wish me luck, and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment